February 2018 Update
My wife Maggie and I returned recently from a month-long mission trip to Finland and Sweden. The trip took us to many congregations and we stayed in many
believing homes. Believers there sent many greetings of love and God’s peace. We were also able to visit the opistos and witness the joy of believing
young, and to also experience firsthand the blessing in this kind of work. I’ve wondered if something similar would ever become a reality for North
American believers. On our trip we were again reminded how God’s children, wherever they live in this world, believe the same and share in mutual joys
As we make plans for the upcoming camp season my thoughts often turn toward our children and youth. They are in the forefront of the battle and need our continued teaching and support. May God’s kingdom remain a safe haven for them, where His Word can be preached and taught, and prayerfully instilled into their hearts. May God continue to bless each of us and carry us safely to the shore of heaven.
Updates on LLC Activities
- SRK speaker-brother Jaakko Kaltakari, of Haukipudas, Finland, accompanied by his wife, Helena, will serve at the 2018 LLC Phoenix Winter Services and visit various LLC congregations during the winter preaching tour. The Kaltakaris have five children and nineteen grandchildren. Jaakko retired as a Senior Pastor in Haukipudas. We welcome them and wish them God’s blessings on their February mission trip.
- We extend a heartfelt welcome to all to the 2018 LLC Phoenix Winter Services to be held February 22–25. The theme for this year’s services is “With God all things are possible” (Mark 10:27). Services will also be held on Wednesday, February 21, in Prescott Valley. Additional information can be found on the LLC website (www.llchurch.org).
- Some of the LLC Board committees will have an extra day of meetings, Thursday, February 22, in Phoenix. This will allow time to discuss current matters and future growth plans of the LLC.
- Renovation continues at Stony Lake Camp. As is often the case, there are delays in the project due to the nature of remodeling. If there are those willing to volunteer hours, please contact a SLC Building Committee member.
- The LLC Home and Family Committee will host a workshop, March 22–24. Plans are to have as many congregation Home and Family Committee heads attend the workshop as possible. LLC held a similar in-person workshop in 2012. Information has been sent to LLC congregation boards for consideration.
- The annual LLC Campwork-Youthwork Week will be held March 4–11. “Ask for the Old Paths, the Good Way, and Walk Therein,” from Jeremiah 6:16, has been chosen as the theme for this year’s camp work and will be central in preparing the presentation for your congregation’s use.
- The annual Camp Staff Workshop will be held on March 8. We already had the first workshops in December and January especially for confirmation school directors and teachers. The third confirmation school workshop will be held on March 17.
- Online enrollment continues for 2018 camps. It’s important to sign up early to assure the best possibility for attendance. The high number of applicants emphasizes the interest in and importance of our camp program. May God continue to give direction to His work.
- Again this year, “Camps at a Glance” has been published. Look for in it your local bookstore or download it from the LLC website.
- The LLC Technology Committee is working to help the LLC office staff with online calendaring and effective online storage for archiving files.
- Discussion has started to set an April or May date for the 2019 SRK-LLC-SFC joint meeting, to be held in Sweden. This kind of cooperation has proven to be beneficial to maintain unity and mutual love in the work.
God has given us a time to work, and He has also blessed us with needed gifts, both temporal and spiritual. May God continue to bless His work as only He can.