December 2020 Update
Lo, how a rose e’er blooming from tender stem has sprung!
Of Jesse’s lineage coming as men of old have sung.
It came, a flower bright amid the cold of winter, when half spent was the night.
Isaiah had foretold it in words of promise sure,
and Mary’s arms enfold Him, a virgin meek and pure.
Through God’s eternal will, this Child to us is given at midnight calm and still.
During this festive season we are thankful for the many blessings which God has given. We are most thankful for the fulfillment of the promise of a Savior. For this we say, “Immanuel, God is with us” (Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:23). On behalf of the LLC office staff, I wish each of you a joyous and peaceful Christmas. May the message of God’s perfect gift to humankind be centermost as we celebrate this Christmas season.
Updates on LLC Activities
- Just in time for Christmas, we have released two new items. One is an album, called Christmas Peace, of Christmas music on classical guitar and organ. The other is our latest board book, titled Away in a Manger. Both would be wonderful gifts for loved ones and can be purchased on the LLC website or in your local congregation bookstore.
- Approximately 100 ministers joined the annual LLC Ministers Teleconference on November 5. LLC Board Chairman Jim Frantti opened the teleconference by summarizing the current spiritual situation in North American Zion. He then presented the topic “The Christian & Government.” The discussion on the presented topic was united and one-minded. We wish to remember one another in love and patience, serve our neighbor amid challenges presented by the worldwide pandemic and be respectful to and obey the various mandates which are currently in place.
- Representatives from the Eastern Region congregation boards met online November 7.
- Midwestern Region boards met in Rockford, Minn., November 21. Ben Waaraniemi introduced the topic “For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost,” from 1 Thess. 1:5, as basis for the spiritual discussion. The meeting also addressed terms for LLC Board members, camp board members and region mission committee members.
- In early November, we asked for input from parents who have a 2021 confirmand to indicate their first and second choice for Confirmation school. Based on those results, eight LLC Confirmation Schools will be held in 2021. The signup for confirmation will open January 4.
- Dates and locations of the 2021 Confirmation Schools are as follows:
~June 20–27: Hasscib Lake 1
~July 10–17: West Coast 1
~July 11–18: Prairie Shores
~July 11–18: Stony Lake 1
~July 17–24: West Coast 2
~July 18–25: Hasscib Lake 2
~July 18–25: Kamp Kipa
~July 25–Aug. 1: Stony Lake 2
Capacity at Stony Lake is 50 students and 30 at the other locations.
- Positions are open for SLC Caretaker and Kitchen Manager. For additional information, contact LLC Facilities Manager Phil Jurmu (email@example.com). Submit your application for these positions by December 31, 2020.
- Watch also for announcements regarding core staff openings for the 2021 camp season at all LLC-owned facilities. Notices will be sent to congregations in December or January. There will also be openings for paid kitchen staff at HLC for the months of July and August.
- Subscription renewal notices have been sent out for the 2021 Voice of Zion and Shepherd’s Voice. Note that along with this subscription, access to digital and audio versions is available by contacting the LLC office. We thank you for your subscription! It helps to support LLC work.
- In December, the Humanitarian Aid Committee sends an annual Christmas gift package to congregations in Ecuador, Togo, and Ghana. This year, due to the world-wide pandemic, the package serves as a well-received gift for believers in far-away lands. Year-end contributions can be made for this effort on the LLC website. Click Donate and then write “HAC Christmas gift” in the Payment for box.
- It’s not too early to start making plans for 2021 LLC Services. Winter Services in Phoenix, Ariz., are being planned for Desert Mountain Middle School, March 18–21. The Phoenix church is reserved as a back-up location, in case the pandemic affects our planning. Summer Services will be held July 1–4 in Marquette, Michigan. As further information becomes available, it will be published in the Voice of Zion, on LLC social media and on the LLC website.
- As the year comes to an end, may each of us pause to reflect on the abundant blessings God has showered on the work of His kingdom. At LLC, we are mindful of the generosity of believers who support our central organization’s work in its many forms. We ask God to richly repay you as only He can.
I wish for you all God’s abundant blessings in the New Year!