May 2017 Update
May marks the special occasion of Mother’s Day. Too often, it seems, a mother’s work is minimized, or worse, forgotten. Dear mothers, may God richly repay you for the care you unselfishly provide for your families. We wish for you God’s abundant blessings!
O Jesus, bless our mothers dear. When they are troubled, give them cheer. Oh, gently wipe away their tears. Uplift their hearts, and calm their fears.
Oh, give our mothers love and grace, preserve them safe in Your embrace. O Jesus, bless their children, too! Let nothing sever us from You! (SHZ 424:1,3).
May also marks the beginning of graduations. Congratulations to all 2017 graduates. May God grant each of you life’s blessings.
Updates on LLC Activities
- Five brothers from Finland (SRK) and two from Sweden (SFC) joined the LLC staff in discussions around joint work opportunities and timely topics, April
5–7, at the LLC office. Each of us marveled how close God has brought our sister organizations together. We have many areas of mutual work, and
the spiritual discussions were seamless in understanding. We again realized how important these meetings have become. God willing, we will make
plans to meet in Sweden in 2019. See the June/July Voice of Zion issue for further information on these meetings.
- Planning for the 2017 Summer Services at the Wright County Fairgrounds in Howard Lake, Minn. is in full gear. It will be a mostly outdoor event modeled
similar to what was done in Toronto last year. Believers in Cokato and surrounding areas are planning for 6500 services guests. In addition to
existing buildings, there will be two large tents for services and additional trailers for support committees such as first-aid, communications,
etc. Special considerations are being made for elders, to assure their needs are met. There is also onsite camping available with nearly 50 RV’s
- The notice and agenda for the 2017 LLC Annual Meeting has been sent to LLC congregations. Included in the packet is the draft 2018 LLC Operating Plan,
available for review in either PDF or electronic file. Congregations are encouraged to make this document available in preparation for the LLC
- Work on the LLC website redesign is ongoing. The website has become an important tool in LLC work. Plans are for a mid-summer release.
- Publications Director, Walt Lampi, is developing a three-year plan for publications. Included is a book matrix that will help to identify translation
and publication needs. This will help with continued requests from membership for additional books and publications.
- Ruth Roiko retired from LLC on April 28, after many years of service as Layout Artist. Most LLC publications have touched her desk over those years.
We wish her God’s abundant blessings in retirement. She will be missed here at the office. On the other hand, we are thankful that Annette Johnson
has agreed to take her place. The transition has been an easy one. Annette will bring additional gifts to the work.
- There have also been changes at the SRK office. Olli Lohi is back after some years away. He is working as Publications Director in the absence of Ari-Pekka
Palola, who for the next two years is working on a SRK history book. And, Pekka Aittakumpu is now working as managing editor of the Päivämies.
- At its April 8 meeting, the LLC Board agreed to the purchase of 70 acres of land near Monticello (Silver Springs) for future LLC development. The next
step will be to secure financing and work together with the Minnesota Facilities Committee (MFC) on future plans. May God continue to bless this
- Renovation work on the bunkhouses at Stony Lake Camp is nearly complete. The work was necessary due to recent changes in Minnesota law. Plans are also
being reviewed and finalized for expansion of additional bunkhouses and sauna, and total renovation of the main lodge. The goal is to start construction
this coming fall, 2017.
May God continue to bless the work as only He can.
May 2017 Voice of Zion