November 2017 Update
Another calendar year is quickly coming to an end. We can pause to reflect on the goodness and protection that God has granted this year. November also marks the end of the church calendar year, and the approach of Advent. November 1, All Saints’ Day, is when we remember those who have gone before us and gained the victory. Our prayers join with the songwriter, “Help us, Lord, in faith to journey on life’s pathway; help me when I leave from here. For through merits of Thy suff’ring I’ll be dwelling with Thy blessed saints fore’er” (SHZ 140:4). May God give continued blessings to all as you pause with friends and family at this special time of year.
As we make plans for the upcoming Advent and Christmas season, and 2018, may we remember our Heavenly Father’s many blessings and the hope of heaven that waits at the end of our journey.
Updates on LLC Activities
- Staff at the LLC office enjoyed the visit on September 29 with Finnish minister Mauno Peltokorpi and his wife Marjatta. Mauno served on the SRK speaking
tour to LLC congregations in October.
- A similar visit took place on October 18 with Antti and Aino Paananen, Juhani and Leena Liukkonen, and Jorma and Merja Hentilä. Antti and Juhani joined
Dan Wuollet and Randy Herrala in serving as teachers at the October 20-22, SLC Bible camp. We are reminded through these visits how we are seamlessly
joined in mutual love, and unity of Spirit.
- Over 150 participants took part in the Bible Camp. The theme this year was the Reformation and some of the significant doctrinal topics of that time.
We plan to make the presentations available on the LLC website after final edits.
- Final budget numbers are being pulled together for SLC renovation which has begun in earnest. An increase in SLC support area dues will pay for the
renovation and expansion. Volunteer work crews from northern Minnesota will do much of the work over the winter with additional crews planned as
the expansion of bunkhouses and sauna building are scheduled to begin in the spring.
- During the 2017 LLC Update Tour, many have commented on the importance of the LLC Opisto Scholarship Program. It has served God’s kingdom well, as
over 500 North American students have attended an opisto since the program began in the early 1980s. With recent funding cuts in Finland, a suggestion
has been made to establish an Opisto Alumni program to help support future students. Please contact Adrian Pirness at the LLC office with ideas
- Matt Keranen is making plans to move his family from Finland to take the position of LLC Publications Director when Walt Lampi retires in July 2018.
Matt has worked for many years as a language teacher and administrator at Jämsä Opisto. We wish Matt, his wife Liisa, and their family God’s abundant
blessings as they prepare to come.
- The first of its kind LLC Translators Webinar was held October 17. Nearly 20 translators from the U.S., Canada, and Finland joined the webinar. Future
developments in this area will continue.
- The publications survey is over, thanks to all that took time to participate. Results from the survey will be compiled and reported on in the January
2018 Voice of Zion issue along with how they will affect future LLC periodical and book publication plans.
- Four new LLC music albums have been produced and are available for download as mp3 or purchased as CDs in the near future. Each of these would make
a wonderful Christmas gift!
- Come All That Labor unto Me, Songs of Work and Rest (CD-47)
- The Kingdom Ours Remaineth, Martin Luther songs (CD-48)
- God Is My Comfort and My Trust, Reformation-era songs (CD-49)
- Rejoice This Happy Christmas Morn! Christmas songs (CD-50)
- The LLC Board of Directors met October 28 and took several actions, some of which include:
- Approved 2018 staff wage and benefit package
- Approved the 2018 LLC Operating Plan and budget
- Approved 2018 staff wage and benefit package
- Gordie Kumpula has agreed to organize the clean-up phase of recently purchased land at Silver Springs. The first clean-up day was October 28. Plans
are being made to use the property for the 2019 Summer Services, hosted by Rockford.
- The Glacier Peak High School in Snohomish, Wash. has been chosen as the site for the July 5–8, 2018 Summer Services. It is a modern school so we will
benefit from current technology in projection and broadcasting. Some overnight RV parking will be allowed at the school, and additional overnight
RV parking and tent-camping will be available at Willis Tucker Park, walking distance from the school. Additional information will be published
on the LLC website as it becomes available.
We ask for your continued prayers, and may God continue to guide and bless His work.
- September 2020 Update
- August 2020 Update
- Statement on HLC & SLC Youth Camps, Pre-Confirmation Camps
- June/July 2020 Update
- Statement on LLC Camp Activities, LLC Confirmation Schools
- The Impact of COVID-19
- May 2020 Update
- 2020 LLC Summer Services Announcement
- Statement on LLC Camps
- Statement on LLC Summer Services
- Update on Evening Devotions