September 2019 Update
Another successful camp season is coming to an end. A heartfelt thanks to all who have volunteered their time this year to serve. With nearly 3500 participants
registered for camp in 2019 (note that this number does not include those who attended camp at Prairie Shores Camp), it takes many hands and willing
hearts to make our camps a success. May God richly repay all who served, and may He give increase to the sown Word.
I especially remember the confirmation students who have returned home from their confirmation schools. It’s such an important time in a young one’s faith life. May God bless the instruction received there!
With fall in the air, summer is nearly over and our children are heading back to school. May God protect the young ones.
Thou hast promised to be ever with Thy blessed children here.
On the way to school, oh, bless us, may Thy Word to us be dear.
Be Thou also our protection as we wander, as we play;
bless our nights, and guide our duties ev’ry moment of the day (SHZ 444:2,3).
Updates on LLC Activities
- North American opisto students have left for their school year in Finland. Through the years, we have realized many blessings from this program. The
students benefit, and so does North American Zion. The Scholarship committee is now reviewing applications for the 2020–21 opisto year. This year
there were 20 applications for 14 scholarships.
- 2019 Peace Garden Youth Days will be held August 31–September 1. This has been an LLC event for 47 consecutive years. We wish safe travels and God’s
blessings as younger and older single believers gather around God’s Word for a weekend of fellowship and refreshment.
- Jon Bloomquist and Miika Kopperoinen recently returned from the first LLC-SRK mission trip in Rwanda, in east-central Africa. God blessed the trip
as many were able to hear God’s Word preached for the first time and a number were granted the grace of repentance. We remember the work in African
mission fields and pray that God will give increase.
- The annual joint Camp Boards meeting takes place September 7. Camp boards will review board responsibilities and discuss the need to establish area
youth work committees to support selection of event directors and recruitment of camp staff.
- Neil Waaraniemi has retired as SLC Director. In recent months, Neil helped Mike Glynn transition into his interim position as Operations Manager. Many
thanks to Neil for his years of service. Mike agreed to serve as manager for the 2019 camp season, and we will advertise the position this fall.
- FinnFest will be held this year in Detroit September 20–22. The LLC will participate with a sales table of books and audio publications and will also
host a music program to sing Finnish hymns from the Virsikirja, the hymnal of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.
- At its October meeting, the LLC Board will hear an outline of plans for the 50-year AALC-LLC history project. To gain information and perspective on
this project, Keith Waaraniemi and Matthew Keranen traveled to Jämsä Opisto in August to join the SRK Board in reviewing the third book in a series
of SRK history books, which focuses on the years 1962–1980.
- Jon Bloomquist and Helen Hillukka travel to Finland for MW3 meetings September 9–12. The meeting allows the three organizations (LLC, SRK, SFC) to
fine-tune division of labor as the demands in foreign mission work continue to grow.
- 2019 LLC Ministers and Wives camp will be held September 13–15 at the Double K Retreat in Easton, Wash. It is the first time an event will be held
there. It is encouraging to see that local congregations support these efforts by sending their ministers (and wives) who have been called to serve.
- SRK minister Mikko Kälkäjä and his wife Marja-Kaisa of Kiiminki, Finland, will arrive October 1 on a month-long mission tour on the SRK-LLC speaker
exchange. Mikko is a social worker in Kiiminki. In addition to serving at services, Mikko and Marja-Kaisa will attend the LLC Board, Staff and
Spouses camp October 25–27 at SLC. We wish them God’s blessing for their trip.
- 2020 Summer Services Update
~ Services will be held July 2–5, at the Superior Dome in Marquette, Mich.
~ Peter Hill has been named Planning Committee Chairman; Michael Hill is his assistant.
May God continue to guide and bless the work of His kingdom.