September brings with it a hint of fall weather and the beginning of the school year. It also marks the end of another busy camp season. My heart joins
with the songwriter in prayer for our children:
“Dearest Jesus, help Thy children as Thine own e’er to remain, so that none would fall to journey on the broad and sinful way.
Thou hast promised to be ever with Thy blessed children here. On the way to school, oh, bless us, may Thy Word to us be dear.
Be Thou also our protection as we wander, as we play; bless our nights, and guide our duties ev’ry moment of the day.” (SHZ 444:1-3)
I’m especially mindful of the confirmation students, as they’ve returned home from their respective camps. May God bless the teaching and instruction received there; it’s an important time in a young one’s faith life.
I recently returned from a mission trip to Kenya. Many loving greetings from there. Kenyan believers are very thankful for your support, they realize that services wouldn’t happen in Kenya without it. May God continue to give each of us a heart to serve.
Updates on LLC Activities
- Twelve North American opisto students have left for their year in Finland. We realize many blessings from the program, for the students and North American
Zion. Scholarship committee meetings are being held now to consider applicants for the 2018-19 year, there are 16 applications for 14 scholarships.
- The annual joint Camp Boards meeting will take place September 9 to discuss how camps went this year and make plans for 2018. At the meeting the SLC
Board will share progress on plans for renovation of SLC beginning in the Fall.
- On September 15-17, an LLC Minister and Wives camp will be held at Hasscib Lake camp. This year marks the 500th year since the start of the Reformation.
Thus, Luther’s’ life and teaching will be topics of discussion for the weekend. It is an opportunity for our minister and wives to be refreshed
in the work of God’s kingdom. It has also been encouraging to see how local congregations have supported efforts in sending those who have been
called to serve.
- As Thy Children Gather Here is the title of the latest CD release by the LLC. It is a recording of youth singing at Peace Gardens in 2016.
You can purchase the CD, or download it directly from iTunes, etc.
- A Veterans camp will be held at SLC September 22-24. It is the third such camp, held typically every other year. Former and current military members
are welcome to attend.
- The first LLC Spanish Language Camp will take place September 22–24 at Kamp Kipa. Attendance is encouraged for those interested in learning Spanish.
Those who have always wanted to study Spanish and those who speak Spanish fluently are encouraged to attend, regardless of level.
- A Bible class teachers’ teleconference will originate from the LLC office September 28. The workshop is intended for teachers in all areas of work.
- The LLC Update Tour has been well received in the congregations where it’s been held, with many positive comments, and important feedback. The remaining
congregations are scheduled through the fall months.
- SRK minister Mauno Peltokorpi and his wife Marjatta, will arrive September 27 on a month-long mission tour on the SRK-LLC speaker exchange. We wish
them God’s blessing for their trip.
- The theme for the October 20-22 SLC Bible Camp this year is Reformation and some of the significant doctrinal topics of that time. Teachers at the camp will include Juhani Liukkonen and Antti Paananen from Finland, along with Dan Wuollet and Randy Herrala. The camp is intended for all believers and provides an opportunity to gather around the basic matters of faith and God’s word. All are welcome! However, enrollment is required on the LLC website.
May God continue to bless His work as only He can.
September 2017 Voice of Zion