Confirmation Day 2: God, the Triune God (L3)
Lesson 3: The Bible, God's Written Word
Objective: God reveals His will in the Bible; The Bible is a Holy Book needing the wisdom of the Holy Spirit to open understanding
Learning Outcome:Give an example of how God reveals His will in the Bible.
Confirmation Exercise Questions
#7. Where did the Scriptures come from?
Holy men of God spoke and wrote as they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.
#8. What is the main message of the Old Testament?
The promise of the coming Messiah, our Lord, Jesus Christ.
#9. What is the main message of the New Testament?
The fulfilment of the Old Testament promise concerning Christ.
The living Word of God is compared to a two edged sword. What are the two edges?
The Law and the Gospel
The Lord has given us His Word / That we may learn of Him. / A precious book He gave to say / We may be free from sin. (SHZ 446 v.1)
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:20,21)
Additional Reference Material
Scripture: Eph. 6:17; Gal. 1:8; Ps. 119:105; 12:6; Isa. 40:8; Jer. 23:29; John 12:48; Rom. 2:16; John 14:26; 1 Cor. 2:10-14; Eph. 1:17; 3:15; 1 Pet. 1:12; 2 Pet. 1:20,21; John 5:39
Additional Lesson Points
Additional Lesson Points:
• While God speaks to us in nature, the fate of our lives, and the phases of nations, He especially speaks to us in Holy Scripture and our Redeemer Jesus Christ.
• Holy Scripture is given by inspiration of the Holy Spirit and is thus God’s own word.
• The Bible is not an encyclopedia of history, the world, and nature and its phenomena, but rather the revelation of God's works for the redemption and salvation of man.
• The Bible speaks of God. Pictures and narratives attempt to illustrate what God is like. • The Bible is Christian faith and life's highest guide.
• The Bible is a closed book that is opened by the Holy Spirit. It is to be read with prayer.
• Students will be able to use the Bible and want to study it daily.
• Students will become acquainted with Jesus’ teachings by reading together or individually one of the gospels during confirmation school.
LLC Website: From a Child Thou Hast Known the Holy Scriptures, J. Frantti, LLC Winter Services, 1999, Youth Presentation