Confirmation Day 3: Jesus, the Son of God (L5)
Lesson 5: Courtship & Marriage, He Made Them Male and Female
Objective: Marriage is a life-long union ordained by God between a man and a woman - a help suitable for each other; Through marriage God fulfills His creation work according to His will
Learning Outcome:Explain how God established marriage for the benefit of mankind.
Confirmation Exercise Questions
You made us for each other, God, / You gave us one another. / Oh, may our hearts abide in love / That each would serve the other. (SHZ 253 v.1)
Charity suffereth long, and is kind (1 Cor. 13:4)
Additional Reference Material
Gen. 1:26-28; 2:23,24; Exod. 20:14; Matt. 5:28; John 8:1-11; Rom. 1:22-27; 1 Cor. 6:9,15,16,18-20; 7:1,2,7-9; 10:8; Gal. 5:19; Eph. 5:5; 1 John 2:16; Prov. 18:22; 19:14; 31:10-12; Matt. 19:5; 1 Cor. 13; Eph. 5:22-33; 6:1-4; Col.3:18-21; 2; Tim. 2:22; Eph. 4:32
Lessons 7.3, 7.4, 9.6
Additional Lesson Points
• Marriage is instituted and ordained by God; this union only ends with the death of one spouse.
• The purpose of marriage is to receive a help “meet”, and for procreation.
• In God's creation man and woman are equal, although they are different.
• The unmarried and single state are just as worthy roles and forms of life as the married state.
• Understand the purpose of courtship and how a believer conducts him/herself in courtship avoiding temptation (for example, by listening to God's Word, discussing our temptations with other believers, caring for our conscience, choosing a sincerely believing group of friends, etc.)
• Understand what are the most important characteristics in a life's companion.
• Student will feel responsibility in the matters of love and courtship and understand that God forgives sins and failing in this area also.
• Student will recognize the outward and inward prerequisites for establishing a family.
Pastor’s Guide to Christian Weddings
Christian Courtship, 1996 Outlook Summer Services – Youth Discussion D Rintamaki
The Sanctity of Marriage, 1999 Detroit Summer Services, Walt Lampi
He Made Them Male and Female, 2006 LLC Sum. Svc. Youth Discussion K. Waaraniemi;
VZ: – series of articles in February, March, April, and June 2003