Confirmation Day 5: I Need the Word of Grace Each Day (L5)
Lesson 5: Prayer, Thy Will be Done
Objective: Prayer is the speech of our heart to God; God answers according to His will and in His time
Learning Outcome:Create a personal prayer to God.
Confirmation Exercise Questions
#10. What is prayer? Prayer is the speech of the heart to God.
#28. Let us together recite the Lord's Prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven: Hallowed be Thy name: Thy kingdom come: Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven: Give us this day our daily bread: And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who have trespassed against us: And lead us not into temptation: But deliver us from evil: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
#29. Let us together recite the Benediction: The Lord bless us and keep us. The Lord make His face shine upon us, and be gracious unto us. The Lord lift up His countenance upon us, and give us peace. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Our Father, Thou in heav’n above, / Who biddest us to dwell in love / As brethren of one family, / To cry in ev’ry need to Thee, / Teach us no thoughtless words to say, / But from our inmost heart to pray. (SHZ 168 v.1)
And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
Additional Reference Material
Matt. 6:5-15; Ps. 42:1,2; 100; 130; 150; Num. 6:24-26; Rom. 8:24-28; 34; Heb. 7:25; Exod. 17:10-13; Jer. 29:11-14; Luke 18:1-8; John 16:23-30; Acts 12:1-11; 16:25-34; Ps. 66:20; James 5:16-18
Lessons 4.4, 9.11
Additional Lesson Points
- Students will know what prayer is and able to pray as God’s Word teaches.
- Students will be able to say the Lord’s Prayer, Benediction, and to understand their meaning.
- The Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ make intercessions on our behalf.
- God hears our prayers but may delay in fulfilling them or give that which is more needful for us.
- We can approach God with any, and all our matters, both temporal and spiritual.
- God has promised to hear our prayers. Believers can approach God as a child does to a father.
- God created man in His own image and fellowship; we can speak to God and hear His speech.
VZ: Jesus’ Teaching of Prayer, K. Kankkonen, Sep. 1993, page 13; The Power and Value of Prayer, Abs. Tauiainen, Jan 1996, page 12; The Bible’s Teaching on Prayer, Päivämies editorial, May 2005, page 2.
LLC Website: Prayer, L. Hakso, Summer Services Ministers and Board meeting, 1998;
Prayer, M. Kontkanen, Summer Services Ministers and Board meeting, 2009.