Confirmation Day 6: Caring for Faith Within the Congregation (L4)
Lesson 4: Caring for One Another
Objective: First we should love God; We should love our neighbor as ourselves
Learning Outcome:Describe how God’s love prompts me to help others
Confirmation Exercise Questions
When we see our neighbor suff’ring, / When he lacks necessities, / May we share our many blessings, / All the gifts that we receive. / May we comfort him who struggles, / That he never weeps alone. / May we tell him of the Savior / Seated at the mercy throne. (SHZ 412 v.3)
“Am I my brother's keeper?”(Genesis 4:9)
Additional Reference Material
Gen. 4:1-15; Gen. 23:2-6; Sam. 12-13; Matt. 7:12; 18:15-20; Luke 7:36-50; Luke 10:25-37; Luke 22:54-62; John 16:13; John 21:17; Rom. 12:10, 14-18; 1 Cor. 2:1-5; 2 Cor. 5:19,20; Gal. 1:6,7; 6:1,2; Eph. 4:1-5, 32; Col. 3:16; Heb. 12:1,2; 1Pet. 2:9.
Additional Lesson Points
- Joseph’s faith engendered love, which gave strength to forgive and care for others
- The Good Samaritan used his time, skills and money for the good of one that needed help
- The love that God gave as a gift teaches us to accept ourselves and our neighbors as unique persons created by God
- Valuing diversity does not mean approving of sin and an indecent life
- Continuous criticism, suppression, and derision of another person and cold indifference are foreign to the neighborly love that is the fruit of true faith.
- Neighborly love is being near, listening, but also caring and desiring to help when needed
- Neighborly love gives us a readiness to meet a diversity of cultures with an open mind.
- A person who has set out on a different road in faith matters may long for contact with believers. Learn to discuss in such a confidential, secure manner so that a person could openly ask questions and even question matters. Search for answers within the congregation of God.
- It is our task to convey the Redeemer’s loving invitation. A penitent sinner can believe sins forgiven unconditionally in the gospel proclaimed from the Kingdom of God.
By Faith Lesson 37; Christian Doctrine 85 - Saved to Serve; How to Approach Another Person, Aimo Helen, SRK Speakers and Elders meeting at Summer Services 2013; How to Approach Another Person, Keith Waaraniemi, LLC Summer Services2014. (Presentation based on Aimo’s Introduction);
VZ: A Brother’s Keeper, Youth Page (several articles), Jul 1999, page 8.