Confirmation Day 6: Caring for Faith Within the Congregation (L5)
Lesson 5: Music, “Sing, O People of the Lord”
Objective: Music is a gift from God, and a tool of the enemy of souls; Wholesome music helps to fight against temptation and sin
Learning Outcome:Give examples of music that please God and strengthen my faith.
Confirmation Exercise Questions
With the organ and the bells, / Ye in whom the spirit dwells, / All ye living, join to sing: / Hallelujah to our King! (SHZ 334 v.4)
“Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God”
Additional Reference Material
Gen. 4:21; Exod. 15:1,20,21; Jdg. 5:1; 1 Sam. 16:16-23; 1 Ch. 6:31,32; 15:16,22,27,28; 16:7,41,42; 23:5,27,30; 25:1,7,8 ; 2 Chr. 5:8,12,13; 7:6; 20:19-28; 29:25-28; Ps. 137:1-5; Ps. 147:7; 150:1-6; Ezra 3:10,11; Neh. 12:27-29; Amos 6:5; Mark 14:26; Ps. 33:1-3; 89:1; 92:1-3; Isa. 5:12; Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16; Gal. 6: 7,8; 1 John 2:15-17
Lessons 8.1, 8.2
Additional Lesson Points
- Songs and hymns are important in the lives of God's children.
- Role of music in the worship service.
- Some music is unsuitable and other music suitable for a Christian.
- Student will recognize the power and effect of both the words and the music on the listener.
- Student will understand the benefits and proper use of music
LLC Website: Music: A Gift from God and a Tool of the Enemy, K. Waaraniemi, Summer Services Youth Presentation, 2009.
* NOTE: There is a series of “Music Matters” articles in all issues of 2001 VZ’s