Confirmation Day 7: Mission Work: Go Ye Therefore and Teach All Nations
Lesson 1: In the World, Not of the World
Objective: A believer is a citizen of the Kingdom of God and this world; A believer is a light unto the world and a salt of the earth
Learning Outcome:Write down a few examples of how a believer lives according to God’s word in the midst of this world.
Confirmation Exercise Questions
When evil’s power round the world is growing, / O God, oppose it with a greater might, / That we would hear it: Music overflowing / Your people’s hymn from realms of gentle light. (SHZ 540 v.4)
I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
Additional Reference Material
Matt. 6:33; Matt. 10:16; John 3:19; 17:9-11, 14-17,19,25; 18:36,37; 2 Cor. 6:14-18; James 4:4; 1 John 2:15-17; Gen. 39:9; 2 Cor. 7:1; Col. 3:17; Jer. 29:7; 2 Cor. 5:9; Matt. 6:24; Matt. 5:13-16; 10:32,33; 2 Tim. 2:12; 1 Pet. 3:14-17; Matt. 18:20; 28:20; Mark 16:18; Luke 10:19
Additional Lesson Points
- A Christian's conscience is bound to God's Word, he/she cannot always do something because, "Everyone else is doing it."
- A Christian wishes to live as he/she believes at home and in public and work constructively in the society in which he/she dwells.
- God also wishes them to fulfill His will in the various situations of social life.
- God wants us to confess faith in word and deed in life's situations and thus confess the Lord.
- Christ has promised to be with His own every day, everywhere.
In the World, But Not of It, Confirmation students, Sept. 2007, page 9
LLC Website: Love Not the World, T. Stewart, Summer Services Youth Presentation, 2009
Blessed are They that Hear the Word of God and Keep It, H. Parks, Winter Services, 2011;
Be Ye Not Unequally Yoked Together with Unbelievers, R. Haapala, Winter Services, Youth Presentation, 2015